If your workplace is anything like mine, when pot luck time comes around everyone brings their go-to dish. We know who will be bringing the chips and salsa, the curried chickpeas, and the cupcakes. That last one usually falls to me, and by no means am I complaining!
However, I’ve been on somewhat of a sugar fast and knew making cupcakes would break it in a snap. I decided to go the healthy route with my pot luck fare but still wanted to bring the “wow factor.” And thus was born these adorable cupcake-esque veggie appetizers.
These easy appetizers make classic veggies and hummus look extra enticing!
- 2 English (hothouse) cucumbers
- 1 1/2 cups hummus
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- Use vegetable peeler to make stripes on the cucumbers by shaving off strips of peel down the length of the cuke.
- Cut cucumbers into 1" thick segments. Arrange on platter.
- Put hummus into icing bag or ziplock bag. I used a Wilton 1M tip but you can snip a corner out of a ziplock bag for a similar effect. Pipe swirls onto cucumber.
- Cut red pepper into 1/4" squares. Top each hummus swirl with red peppper.
I added some orange bell pepper strips to the platter with a little swirl of hummus and more red pepper squares. It looked pretty snazzy, if I do say so myself.
Once they were out on the table these little goodies disappeared in a flash. To be honest, so did my tray for a few days after the party… I’ll just chock that up to enthusiasm over these tasty treats!