Yesterday, Doug brought home the first pumpkin beer of the season. Although I’m not quite ready for fall, I can’t wait to get back into pumpkin-in-everything season!
With veggie delivery coming Thursday because of Labor Day, I’ll take the opportunity today to share a recipe for one of our favorite breakfast treats, which just happens to be a preview of fall delights to come.
This quick smoothie packs a tasty, nutritional punch! Adapted from Budget Bytes.
- 1/3 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/3 cup plain yogurt
- 2/3 cup dairy or non-dairy milk
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 Tbsp ground flax seeds
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- Place all ingredients into a blender, process until smooth.
- Make sure your pumpkin-loving kitty and lizard get their share of pumpkin puree!
I’ll never understand the “I don’t eat breakfast” crowd. I’m barely functional before eating something in the morning, and at times execute an intricate packing-lunches-and-prepping-dinner dance before 6 am. For those who didn’t get the early riser gene, you can put all of the ingredients for this recipe (except the banana) together the night before, so making breakfast in the morning is a breeze!
I keep a container of pumpkin pie spice (and a few cans of pumpkin) in the cupboard just for this recipe. To make your own:
- 4 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 4 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 4 teaspoons ground ginger
- 3 teaspoons ground allspice or ground cloves (or a combination of the two)
Happy breakfast, and welcome to pumpkin season!